a work in progress, built with jekyll

When I set out on my NeoCities journey, I knew I wouldn’t tolerate doing everything longhand in pure html for long.

I’ve been a developer for far too long, I always need to make it more complicated so it will be more simple later on.

Thus far, Jekyll has actually been fairly simple to pick up, but there just seem to be some minor things that I’m struggling to wrap my brain around, and the way the documentation is writing about it is just not computing.

For example, there are some minor tweaks to the styling that I want to do, but I can’t seem to figure out how to not completely override the base styles of the theme I chose to use. I’m sure I’m probably just making a minor mistake somewhere that’s botching the inheritance, but I’ve run out of brainpower for the day to figure out what’s going on.

I’ve combed through the official documentation, tried to piece it together from blog post tutorials other people have written… and it’s just not clicking.

Plus, and this is the big kicker… I’m obsessed with doing it the “right” way. I’m sure I could figure out a way to force it to work that’s not technically correct, but… I spent too long in the world of profesional Drupal development, where coding standards mattered so much that it gives me anxiety not to do things correctly.

I get that this is a personal project so “working’s good” should be good enough.

The fact that I’m going to try and publish this without my theme fully done is about all the pushback against perfectionism that I can take for the moment.

Tomorrow’s a new day… Progress is being made… Good things are coming.